Thursday, March 4, 2010

March 4, 2010 - La Paz

We returned to Serenity on Saturday February 27th after a very brief stop in LaConner to check on our house and see a few friends. LaConner is already having Spring. The daffodils and plum trees were blooming, and the tulips were 6 inches high. It is an early for them and a pleasure for us.

I don’t know if it is Spring here in La Paz. I have no idea how to tell. Whatever season it is considered, it is very agreeable. By late morning the temperature is 78 degrees. It is such a stress free place that I think I will need to start making myself a daily todo list, since otherwise I find myself just lazing around. Earl keeps busy doing boat jobs, which never seem to end. I finally got tired of hearing complaints about the absence of a TV, so we bought a small one and Earl has spent most of the week messing with it. The boat came prewired for TV. There is a spot on the side of the boat to plug in cable, which will presumably work for both the TV and the computer. It did not work. So Earl has spent several days pulling down ceiling panels and unscrewing wall panels to trace the wiring through the boat. We now have new wiring and get a TV signal, but unfortunately we get no sound on the 2 English speaking news channels. He is working on that, and, as they say, it keeps him off the streets.

I did get to spend time with Telcel trying to prepay my air card so that we can get some internet at anchor. Dealing with Telcel is unique. The people are always nice, but that is about all I can say. I was told that I could not prepay more than 1 month ahead and that I must always activate the new payment by going to the website and typing in a special code. Furthermore, since I insisted on buying two month of time at once, I was told that on the day the first month expired, no sooner, no later, I must repeat the process. The nice representative who helped me warned me that their system could not deal with a two month prepayment and might charge me by the kilobyte instead of on a plan. She may be right or wrong. I did not plug in any special activation code and my air card works. Who knows. I have decided that Mexican telecommunications is one of the great mysteries of life.

We are counting the days before Brian, Isha and Bella arrive to spend a week with us. We will pick them up on Saturday and head for the islands. I can hardly wait to share this place with them. For me it is all about playing in the water and on the beach – for Earl it is all about fishing. He has hooked up a water intake and pump to his little bait tank and armed with his new little fish net I think he plans on filling it and catching many large fish on live bait. Maybe Isha, Bella and I will play on the beach while Brian and Earl catch dinner.

No comments: