Saturday, April 3, 2010

April 3, 2010 - Punta Chivato






We went out to dinner our last night in Santa Rosalia with the entire population of the marina. I think there were probably 15 or so of us. It was very jolly. The next morning at 5:30 we pulled away from the dock and headed south. Our destination was Punta Chivato about 4 hours running. We had not been able to anchor there on the way up because the wind was blowing from the south and Chivato is open in that direction. The wind was light and from the north, so we anchored about a quarter of a mile off the beach in 12 feet of water. We spent the afternoon being mellow, reading our books. A small sail boat came by and told us there were two restaurants on the beach that we should check out. We thanked him, but ended up opting for home cooking.

Chivato has a long sand beach and is known as a shell beach. We put the dingy in the water this morning and went over to walk Daisy and check it out. I have never seen so many shells. There are deep drifts of them all along the beach. As I walked along I realized that if I wanted to pick up shells, I would have to limit myself to very small shells or specialize. It is overwhelming. One lady told me she collected the very thin pieces of shells worn by the sea which were reduced chips of mother of pearl. Wet they are luminous. She likes put one in the bottom of a glass of Champaign. Apparently they look quite wonderful. I picked up a little of everything and now will have to go through them and decide what to keep and what, if anything, to collect in the future.

In a little while we will pick up our anchor and head south into Conception Bay which everyone raves about.

2 comments:

dale klint said...

Hi - Glad you are back in the Travelog business. Also, glad that I have worked my access problem out, and back in checking your blogs. Dale

Unknown said...

Earl and Louise, glad to see you doing well. I REALLY wish I was not at my office, but following you!
John
N60 Holiday