Monday, May 16, 2011

Sunday, May 15, 2011 - Bahia Bonanza


I left La Paz and Earl on Thursday the 5th to head to Washington, D.C. for my cousin’s son’s wedding. Having left on the 7 am bus from La Paz to Cabo airport, I wasted no time dropping into bed at the hotel when I arrived at midnight. My sister, Marie Noel was most;y asleep so we kept the talk to a minimum. Friday we spent a nice day with my cousin helping around her house a little and then having dinner. It was wonderful to see extended family for happy reason rather than the usual funeral. As my cousin is crazy about her new daughter-in-law, it was a very happy occasion.


The wedding was Saturday afternoon, with a reception at the Decatur House near the White House. We all gathered in front of the White House for a wedding photo, close to groups protesting everything you can imagine. Marie Noel and I were quite festive! I had brought two of the extraordinary bows like the ones I had given Bella as presents for two little girls in the Berkshires. Marie Noel pointed out the they would go with our outfits and that the royal wedding the week before had made “fascinators” all the rage. We were the pink bow ladies and those who did not know better assumed we were Annie’s English cousins.


While I went north with Marie Noel to Boston and Stockbridge and then down to New York with my sister Cricket, Earl was busy with Serenity. He had her taken out of the water. Her bottom was scrubbed and sanded and given two coats of paint. She was back in her slip ready to go when I arrived back on the 13th. Earl gave me a day to catch my breath and get fresh fruit and vegetables, and then we took off this morning.





We stopped at the fuel dock and got 1,650 liters of fuel. I’ll report on cost and usage next time after I do the math.


The we took off for a final fishing trip before we head back to Anchorage. Sure enough, now that we have no guests on board with fishing licenses, we actually caught some fish. They were black skip jacks, not a fish we wanted to keep, but we caught a total of five and enjoyed it. We ran about 10 or 15 miles east of Isla Espiritu Santo. The water was an extraordinary color of blue and its temperature actually hit 80. To Daisy’s delight, we had multiple encounters with big bottle nosed dolphins and we saw on marlin jumping. I am sure that the cooler water is what caused the lack of sea life we have generally had over the past few months. Hopefully, the higher temperatures bode well for the rest of our trip.





We anchored in 14 feet of water off Bahia Bonanza in 76 degree clear water. We went for a lovely swim, and, since we had no neighbors, did not bother with swim suits. Earl said I could take a photo of him basking in the water for the blog, but when I got out of the water and looked at him, I was afraid the water was too clear and this is a G rated blog.



No comments: